There are many reasons that we promote and are passionate about the use of straw bales in construction.
- Energy Efficiency
- Highly insulating
- Low fire risk
- Structurally sound
- Robust and durable
- Can be constructed affordably
- Tried and tested
A straw bale building can be:
- Load bearing – where the bales support the roof.
- Infill – where the roof is held up by a (usually) wooden frame and the bales provide the insulation and wall surface.
- Hybrid – A combination of the two methods above.
- Prefabricated panels – Panels, usually constructed within a wooden frame. Fabricated off site and erected on site in one go.
- Big bales – Building using the largest available commercial farm bales.
Ways of building:
- Self Build
- Contract Build