Who are the ten most important classical composers? Who in the world was Palestrina? Why did Stravinsky’s “Rite of Spring” cause a riot? Which five of each important composer’s works should you buy? What is a concerto and how does it differ from a sonata?
Maybe you don’t know the answers to these questions; author Phil Goulding certainly didn’t. When Goulding first tried to learn about classical music, he found himself buried in an avalanche of technical terms and complicated jargon — so he decided to write the book he couldn’t find.
The result is a complete classical music education in one volume. Comprehensive, discriminating, and delightfully irreverent, Classical Music provides such essential information as:
* Rankings of the top 50 composers (Bach is #1. Borodin is #50)
* A detailed and anecdotal look at each composer’s life and work
* The five primary works of each composer and specific recommended CDs for each.
* Further great works of each composer — if you really like him
* Concise explanations of musical terminology, forms, and periods
* A guide to the parts and history of the symphony orchestra
“This book uses every conceivable gimmick to immerse readers in the richness of classical music: lists, rankings, sidebars devoted to lively anecdotes, and catchy leads.”
— The Washington Post
“One terrific music appreciation book…The information is surprisingly detailed but concisely presented. Goulding’s writing style is breezy yet mature….[He] has raised music appreciation from a racket to a service.”
— The Arizona Daily Star
PDF Classical Music Phil G. Goulding on Walmart. Paperback book Classical Music buy cheap on reader. MP3 ebook Classical Music by Phil G. Goulding read iPhone. FictionBook book Classical Music download on Booktopia. TXT Classical Music read online for Kindle on Amazon.